Mountaineers Top Quakers 87-85 in Overtime

Mountaineers Top Quakers 87-85 in Overtime

Berea, KY - The Berea College men's basketball team took on NCAA Division III Wilmington College this afternoon at home.  In a back and forth game the Mountaineers defeated the Quakers in overtime by a score of 87-85.

In the first half the Mountaineers jumped out to a early 5-0 lead.  Dominique Garmon hit two back to back jump shots with 9:35 left in the half to give the Mountaineers an 18-11 lead.   A couple of made free throws by Jair Jackson at the 5:26 mark would give the Mountaineers their largest lead of the half, 28-16.  Three quick three point shots by the Quakers would bring them within five points with 2:16 left in the half.  The Quakers would hold the momentum and continue to drive a comeback.  At the end of the half the ten point Mountaineers lead was cut down to only one, 37-36.

The Mountaineers were lead by Dominique Garmon shooting 6-9 from the field and finishing the half with 13 points.  Berea was lead under the glass by Jair Jackson who pulled down seven rebounds.  Berea shot 51.9% from the field compared to the 48.3% that the Quakers shot.

Fourteen seconds into the second half Wilmington took their first lead of the game off a jump shot.  The Mountaineers responded quickly with a jump shot by Gabe Hinton giving them a 39-38 lead.  Wilmington would once again take over this time holding the lead for 4 minutes.  Ethan Harris found Bizzle Brown under the net for a huge dunk to put the Mountaineers within two points.  Right after Seth Beckham drove the court finishing with a dunk to tie the game 51-51.   The Quakers responded to the back to back dunks with a three point shot to regain the lead.  After several back and forth possessions Richard Parker found Anthony Myrks in the corner for a three point shot.  That shot would give the Mountaineers a 61-58 point lead.  With several more lead changes the Mountaineers found themselves down 82-77 with only twenty five seconds remaining in the game.  The Mountaineers would go on a 5-0 run to tie the game, which was finished with a jump shot by Myrks  with only seven seconds remaining.  A last second missed shot by the Quakers forced the game into overtime.   

In overtime Myrks hit a jump shot to give the Mountaineers a 86-82 lead with under three minutes to play.  Once again Wilmington was able to respond with a three pointer to bring them within one.   In the closing minutes of the game the Quakers were unable to regain the lead going 0-4 from the charity stripe.  A made free throw by Parker would be the last point in the game and the Mountaineers were able to grab the hard fought win over the Quakers, 87-85.

The Mountaineers finished with three players scoring double digits.  Parker lead the team with 21 points, Garmon finished with 19 and Myrks with 15.  The Mountaineers were lead under the glass by Jair Jackson and Seth Beckham who each pulled in 7.  

Both teams finished with ten turnovers each but in the end the deciding factor was free throws.  Berea went 30-40 (75%) from the charity stripe compared to the 14-28 (50%) that the Quakers shot.  

Berea will be back in action on December 4th when they travel to Asbury to take on Fisk University in the Asbury Classic.  Tip off is scheduled for 4:00 PM.  The following day at 2:00 PM  the Mountaineers will take on Indiana University Northwest.