#9 Mountaineers Use Second Half Rallies to Beat Warren Wilson College

Anthony Myrks-Brewer attempting a free throw.
Anthony Myrks-Brewer attempting a free throw.

Berea, KY- #9 Berea came back to the Seabury Center this afternoon to play their final game of the USCAA Classic Tournament. Today's contest saw them go against fellow USCAA conference member the Warren Wilson Owls. A previous matchup a week ago saw Berea win 93-78 when they traveled their last week. 

Warren Wilson raced out to a 6-0 lead before two baskets from Corey Wise and free throws from Richard Parker tied the game. The tie was broke by the Owls with a two-point basket but the Mountaineers took their first lead of the game, 9-6, off of Stephen Butts' basket from behind the arc. An 8-4 scoring run for Berea pushed them ahead 17-12 but Warren Wilson scored eight straight points to retake the lead 20-17. At the 8:13 mark, a Terique Miller three-point basket brought the Mountaineers within one point of the lead, 23-22, but a 14-0 run over the next five minutes for the Owls gave them a 37-22 advantage. Anthony Myrks-Brewer broke the scoreless streak for Berea but 10 three-point baskets for Warren Wilson in the half helped them lead 46-35 as the intermission buzzer sounded. 

The energy in the building was brought back into effect as Myrks-Brewer's three-point play and layup brought the Mountaineers back within six points of the lead, 46-40, bringing the crowd back into the game. After a Owl's three-point basket, a 10-1 run by the Mountaineers which included back-to-back three-pointers from Butts and Miller tied the game at 50 a piece. Warren Wilson broke the tie with their basket but Berea regained the lead on a Myrks-Brewer three-point jumper which sparked a 13-0, making the score 63-52 for the Mounties. The lead for the Mountaineers dwindled to just four as the Owls scored the next seven points to make the score 63-59. Wise's jumper broke Warren Wilson's scoring streak before a 13-2 run by the Owls gave them a 72-67 lead with 5:16 remaining in the game.

Dytona Bizzle-Brown's three-point basket from the right corner brought Berea back within two points of the lead, 74-72. The game became tied twice over the next thirty seconds but a steal by Myrks-Brewer with the score tied 76-76 prompted a Mountaineers timeout to draw up a play. The team came out of the timeout and used a Parker three-point basket from the left wing to take a 79-76 lead. Berea hit the free throws needed down the stretch as Warren Wilson fouled trying to extend the game to walk off Roland Wierwille Court with a 85-79 win. 

Berea had four players in double figure scoring for the game, led by Parker and Myrks-Brewer with 21 each. Myrks-Brewer finished the game 14-17 from the charity stripe. Wise finished with 15 points and was the team leader in rebounds with eight, including a soaring offensive rebound and putback which tied the game down the stretch. Miller closed out the Mountaineers in double figures, finishing with 10. The team had 14 steals in the game, led by Parker's five. Butts led the team with four assists. As a team, they shot 81% from the free throw line (26-32). 

#9 Berea (14-7) returns to the court on Wednesday against Wilberforce University. The team will be looking for a bit of revenge against the visiting Bullsdogs as they won a earlier season matchup. The game, pegged as the Carbon Neutral game, is set to tipoff at 7:30 PM.