Mountaineers End Regular Season With Tie Against Oakland City

Glendy Pineda taking the ball back from the opposing team.
Glendy Pineda taking the ball back from the opposing team.

Berea, KY- After having their senior day yesterday, the women's soccer team returned to the Berea College Sports Complex to finish out their regular season. The game was the make-up of a contest postponed earlier in the month because rain made the field unplayable against the Oakland City University Mighty Oaks.

Oakland City took control in the first couple of minutes as Berea was unable to turn their possessions into offensive chances. Things changed though as the Mountaineers picked up the aggression as evidenced by a shot by Madilyn Hord and a header shot from Rebecca Schmidt, even though neither shot went in. Berea got a couple of more chances to put the first goal on the scoreboard but a shot from Sohara Perez was blocked while a shot by Eulalia Garcia went wide as the teams went into halftime tied 0-0.

The search for the potentially game-winning goal continued for the Mountaineers as a second shot from Hord at the 57th minute went wide left. Three minutes later, Sierra Massucco struck a ball with the intent to score on a free kick, which ended up getting blocked. After a Perez shot went high, a Mighty Oaks player sent a beaming shot to the left corner of the goal which would have given the visitors the first lead of the game if not for a beautiful diving save from goalkeeper Amber Follin. A minute later, Kourtney Haliburton saved a goal when an Oakland City player shot a ball with the net open and Haliburton put her body in front of the ball to prevent the goal. Berea got two more chances to end the game in regulation but a shot each from Hord and Glendy Pineda went wide, meaning the game was going to extra time.  

The teams played two ten minute periods under golden goal rules. Under the rules, the first team to score walks off the field with the victory. The visitors came out attacking in the opening segments of the first overtime but the Mountaineers' defense and goalie stayed strong, not allowing a goal. Perez's third chance and the only shot for a Berea goal went wide right as the game moved on to the second overtime with neither team scoring.

Pineda took a pass from a teammate and had a one-on-one with the Mighty Oaks' goalkeeper in the second minute of the overtime but was unable to lob the ball over the keeper's head to score the game-winning goal. A foul by Oakland City just outside the 18-yard box gave the Mountaineers a real opportunity to end the game. Unfortunately, Perez's attempt went wide and an attempt by Hord would be saved, forcing the game to end in a scoreless tie.

Hord and Perez tied for the team-high in shots with four while Pineda had two shots to go along with a shot each from Garcia and Massucco. Follin faced four shots on goal and saved all four of them, finishing with a perfect 100% save rate.

Berea finishes the season with a 1-13-1 record on the season. Perez led the team with shots on the season with a total of 26 shots. Follin finished as the conference leader with 147 saves.