Berea, KY - Monday afternoon, Berea College Women's tennis team hosted Mt. Saint Joseph women in a very exciting battle that went all the way to the last match.
The afternoon started with doubles competition and number 1 seeds Taylor Moyers and Trinity Goodman pulled out an extremely tight match with a 9-7 win. Number two seeds Erin Goodpaster/Bria Williams played their first match as a team and had many great points and close games but ultimately fell to the team from Mt. Saint Joseph. Lastly closing out doubles play number three seeds Alicia Bedolla and Ashley Ferrell won a convincing match 8-3. This closed out doubles play and gave Berea a 2-1 lead over Mt. Saint Joseph heading into singles action.
In singles action, Taylor Moyers and Trinity Goodman at number 1 and 2 respectively, bounced back from their losses against Hanover to reclaim their winning record. Taylor Moyers was in control from the very start of the match and found some challenges in the second set but ultimately was too experienced and strong for her opponent winning 6-0, 6-3. Trinity Goodman also continued her strong campaign at the number 2 spot with a 6-1, 6-0 win over her opponent. At this point Mt Saint Joseph closed out wins in the number 3, 4 and 6 spots bringing the overall points to a 4-4 tie with Berea. Alicia Bedolla at number 5 was the last on court in a tight match between the two women, where Mt. Saint Joseph's player had a little more left to pull out the win 6-3, 6-2.
Taylor Moyers and Trinity Goodman in their last year continue to put together impressive wins and currently stand at 4-1 in doubles play and 4-1 in singles play, with their only losses coming to Hanover College. Next up, the Women will travel to Indiana South-East on Sunday, September 25th, 2016 to play the match that was postponed due to weather.
Mt. Saint Joseph (5) def. Berea College (4)
(2) Alicia Gallegos-Ayala/Kelsey Knodel (MSJ) def. Bria Williams/Erin Goodpaster (BEREA) 8-1
(3) Ashley Ferrell/Alicia Bedolla (BEREA) def. Hannah Broemann/Blake Nelson (MSJ) 8-3
(1) Taylor Moyers (BEREA) def. Morgan Hoehn (MSJ) 6-0, 6-3
(2) Trinity Goodman (BEREA) def. Alicia Gallegos-Ayala (MSJ) 6-1, 6-0
(3) Hannah Williams (MSJ) def. Ashley Ferrell (BEREA) 6-2, 6-1
(4) Blake Nelson (MSJ) def. Bria Williams (BEREA) 6-1, 6-0
(5) Hannah Broemann (MSJ) def. Alicia Bedolla (BEREA) 6-3, 6-2
(6) Kelsey Knodel (MSJ) def. Deshontanae Davis (BEREA) 6-0, 6-0