Berea Loses First Conference Game

Berea Loses First Conference Game

Sandi McMullin, Sports Information Assistant 



Score: Huntingdon 3, Berea 2

Records: Huntingdon 2-6-1, Berea 1-9


Berea, KY- On Saturday, September 28, the Mountaineers hosted Huntingdon College for their first conference matchup of the season. Berea played very strong throughout the entire game, but they fell short of a win after conceding a late goal. Huntingdon took home their first conference win against Berea 3-2.

In the first half, the Hawks scored very early on into the game. The goal was by Alex Calhoun with an assist from Alexis Louk at the 00:42 minute mark. Huntingdon maintained their lead for a short period of time when Berea's Madilyn Hord scored at the 5:45 minute mark. The score now 1-1, the Mountaineers and the Hawks competed strongly for the remainder of the half. The half ended in a tie 1-1.

Entering the second half, the Mountaineers wasted no time going to work against their opponents. Their hard effort was rewarded at the 47:25 minute mark, as sophomore Bailee Vanover scored for Berea, giving Berea the lead against Huntingdon 2-1. The Mountaineers held off the Hawks in the second half until the 61:04 minute mark, where Huntingdon's Alex Calhoun scored and tied up the game once again Both sides battled very hard, not showing any signs of letting up until at the 79:55 minute mark, when Huntingdon's Alex Calhoun scored with an assist from Allison Fisher. Having lost the advantage, Berea increased the intensity and worked as a unit in order to get another goal before time ran out. Unfortunately, they were unable to score and Berea lost their first conference match against Huntigdon 3-2.

Berea's Jade Fulkerson had 4 saves, and Huntingdon's Courtney Dye had 2.

Huntingdon had 16 shots compared to Berea's 7, and they had an equal advantage of 2-2 on corners.

Up next, the Mountaineers will host their second conference matchup against Maryville on Tuesday, October 1st at home. Kick-off is set for 4:00pm.